It’s Fabulous Friday! Did you know…
* Canada is ceded by France to Great Britain in 1763. The Treaty of Paris that ended The Seven Years War (aka The French-Indian War) turned all French colonies in North America except Louisiana into British possessions.
* The HMS Dreadnaught is launched by the British Royal Navy in 1906. It rendered all other capital warships of its day obsolete as the first steel-hulled battleship.
* IBM computer Deep Blue becomes the first computer to win a game of chess against a reigning (human) chess champion, Gary Kasparov in 1996.
* Laura Ingalls Wilder, the chronicler of American frontier life, dies in 1957.
Look who was born on this date!
* Boris Pasternak in 1880. (Influential Soviet Russian novelist, poet, and literary translator. He died in 1960)
* Greg Norman in 1955. (He is the top professional golfer to hail from Australia. He’s 62 today.)
* Elizabeth Banks in 1974. (American actress of Seabiscuit, The Hunger Games, and Catching Fire fame.)