It’s Superb Saturday! Did you know…
* Patrick James Whelan hanged in a snowstorm before a crowd of 5,000 people in 1869 for the murder of Thomas D’Arcy McGee – Federal Member of Parliament on April 7, 1868. (Whelan denies he did it; second last public execution in Canada. Ottawa, Ontario)
* First vision of the Virgin Mary to 14-year-old Bernadette of Lourdes, France in 1858.
* Nelson Mandela released after 27 years imprisonment in South Africa in 1990. (His imprisonment was the result of his anti-apartheid activism as a politician. In a fully multiracial election, Mandela was made President of South Africa in 1994.)
* Pope Benedict XVI announces his resignation to be effective February 28, in 2013. (He was the first pope to resign since 1415.)
* Pop superstar Whitney Houston dies at age 48. (Houston’s death was the result of accidental drowning; heart disease and cocaine, which was found in her system, were determined to be contributing factors.)
Look who was born on this date!
* Thomas Edison in 1847. (Prolific American inventor whose discoveries changed the modern way of life. His inventions included the phonograph, the electric light bulb, the electric power industry, and motion pictures.)
* Manuel Noriega in 1938. (Panamanian General and Dictator who was ousted from power by US troops in 1989. US Fed court finds Noriega guilty of 8 out of 10 drug and racketeering charges in 1992.)
* Jennifer Aniston in 1969. (Gained worldwide recognition for portraying Rachel Green on the television sitcom “Friends” (1994–2004), a role which earned her an Emmy Award, a Golden Globe Award, and a Screen Actors Guild Award.)