It’s Marvellous Monday! Did you know…
* 1792 US postal service was created, postage 6-12 cents depending on distance.
* 1975 Margaret Thatcher elected leader of the British Conservative Party. (First female British Prime Minister, known as ‘The Iron Lady’. Serves as UK Prime Minister from 1979-1990 – longest serving British PM of 20th century.)
* 1985 Ireland allows the sale of contraceptives. (In a highly controversial vote on February 20, 1985, the Irish government defies the powerful Catholic Church and approves the sale of contraceptives.)
* 1725 American colonists practice scalping. (In the American colonies, a posse of New Hampshire volunteers comes across a band of encamped Native Americans and takes 10 “scalps” in the first significant appropriation of this Native American practice by European colonists. The posse received a bounty of 100 pounds per scalp from the colonial authorities in Boston. That’s $21,372.67 US per scalp in today’s currency!)
* 1962 An American orbits earth. (From Cape Canaveral, Florida, John Hershel Glenn Jr. is successfully launched into space aboard the Friendship 7 spacecraft on the first orbital flight by an American astronaut.)
Look who was born on this date!
* Charles Barkley in 1963. (Established himself as one of the NBA’s most dominating power forwards with the Philadelphia 76ers, Phoenix Suns, and Houston Rockets. In 1993, he was voted the league’s Most Valuable Player, and was one of the most popular players among fans and media members.)
* Kurt Cobain in 1967. (Best known as the lead singer, guitarist, and primary songwriter of the grunge band Nirvana. Following the success of the album “Nevermind”, Nirvana was labelled “the flagship band” of Generation X, and Cobain hailed as “the spokesman of a generation”. He died in 1994.)
* Rihanna in 1988. (She was born in Saint Michael, Barbados Best and is known for her hit singles Umbrella, Disturbia, Don’t Stop the Music, and Take a Bow.)