It’s Tantalising Tuesday! Did you know…
* 2010 – Sydney’s Crosby’s overtime goal gives Canada to a 3-2 victory over the United States in the hockey Gold Medal Game at the Vancouver Olympics.
* 1953 Watson and Crick discover chemical structure of DNA. (Watson and Crick’s solution was formally announced on April 25, 1953, following its publication in that month’s issue of Nature magazine. The article revolutionised the study of biology and medicine. Among the developments that followed directly from it were pre-natal screening for disease genes; genetically engineered foods; the ability to identify human remains; the rational design of treatments for diseases such as AIDS; and the accurate testing of physical evidence in order to convict or exonerate criminals.)
* 2013 Pope Benedict resigns. (On this day in 2013, less than three weeks after making the unexpected announcement that he would step down, 85-year-old Pope Benedict XVI officially resigns. Citing advanced age as the reason for giving up his post as the leader of the 1.2 billion-member Roman Catholic Church, Benedict was the first pontiff to relinquish power in nearly 600 years. Two weeks after Benedict resigned, Cardinal Jorge Mario Bergoglio, the archbishop of Buenos Aires, was elected pope.)
* 1983 Final episode of M*A*S*H airs. (On this day in 1983, the celebrated sitcom M*A*S*H bows out after 11 seasons, airing a special two-and-a-half hour episode watched by 77 percent of the television viewing audience. It was the largest percentage ever to watch a single TV show up to that time.)
* 1947 2.28 Incident: In Taiwan, civil disorder is put down with the loss of 30,000 civilian lives. (February 28 Massacre, also known as the 2.28 Incident (from Chinese: 二二八事件; pinyin: Èr’èrbā shìjiàn), was an anti-government uprising in Taiwan that was violently suppressed by the Kuomintang-led Republic of China government, which killed thousands of civilians beginning on February 28, 1947. Estimates of the number of deaths vary from 10,000 to 50,000 or more. The massacre marked the beginning of the White Terror period, in which tens of thousands more inhabitants vanished, died, or were imprisoned. This incident is one of the most important events in Taiwan’s modern history, and was a critical impetus for the Taiwan independence movement.)
Look who was born on this date!
* Joe Malone in 1890. (Canadian Ice Hockey Player: Known as “Phantom Joe”, he is the only player to score seven goals in an NHL game. He scored the second most goals of any player in major hockey’s first half-century and was elected to the Hockey Hall of Fame in 1950.)
* Bugsy Siegel in 1906. (American Mobster: American mobster with the Luciano crime family. Nicknamed “Bugsy”, he was one of the most infamous and feared gangsters of his day. He was also a driving force behind the development of the Las Vegas Strip.)
* Mario Andretti in 1940. (Italian Racing Car Driver: He won the Indianapolis 500, the Daytona 500, the Formula One World Championship and the Pikes Peak Hillclimb.)