It’s Whimsical Wednesday! Did you know…
* 2010 – Vancouver Olympics end with Canada winning 14 gold medals, the most for any country (host or otherwise) in any Winter Olympics.
* 1943 – World War II – Founding of the Canadian Women’s Army Corps as part of the Canadian forces; (CWACs have full military titles and can hold commissions.)
* 1780 Pennsylvania becomes 1st US state to abolish slavery (for new-borns only)
* 1692 Salem Witch Hunt begins. (In Salem Village in the Massachusetts Bay Colony, Sarah Goode, Sarah Osborne, and Tituba, an Indian slave from Barbados, are charged with the illegal practice of witchcraft. Later that day, Tituba, possibly under coercion, confessed to the crime, encouraging the authorities to seek out more Salem witches.)
* 1932 Lindbergh baby kidnapped. (On this day in 1932, in a crime that captured the attention of the entire nation, Charles Lindbergh III, the 20-month-old son of aviation hero Charles Lindbergh, is kidnapped from the family’s new mansion in Hopewell, New Jersey. Lindbergh, who became an international celebrity when he flew the first solo flight across the Atlantic Ocean in 1927, and his wife Anne discovered a ransom note demanding $50,000 in their son’s empty room. The kidnapper used a ladder to climb up to the open second-floor window and left muddy footprints in the room.)
Look who was born on this day!
* Yitzhak Rabin in 1922. (The fifth Prime Minister of Israel, serving two terms in office, 1974–77 and 1992 until his assassination in 1995. In 1994, he won the Nobel Peace Prize together with long-time political rival Shimon Peres and Palestinian leader Yasir Arafat.)
* Jensen Ackles in 1978. (American Actor: Known for his roles in television as Eric Brady in “Days of our Lives”, which earned him several Daytime Emmy Award nominations, as well as Alec/X5-494 in “Dark Angel” and Jason Teague in “Smallville”.)
* Justin Bieber in 1994. [Picture not available 🤗 ] (Canadian Pop Star: Discovered on YouTube in 2007, has become one of the most popular recording artists in the world. First artist to have seven songs from a debut record to chart on the “Billboard Hot 100”.)